Re: the incredible imploding glass

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: the incredible imploding glass
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2003 06:49:59 +0100
On Fri, 11 Jul 2003, at around 01:19:16 local time, James Carruthers
<j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk> wrote:
>I came home today to find that my windscreen has somehow turned in to a
>million pieces...
>
>Sort of like someone has come up and tried to smash it - but there are
>no impact points and none of the glass has fallen through...

Dear James,

Could be a problem with the MOT right there. :-(

>My theory is that it was a baking hot day and it's just got so hot it's
>shattered.... what do you all reckon?

I don't know, but I somehow doubt it.   Baking hot in this instance
means about 75 in the shade - if Spitfire screens routinely shattered at
that temperature, there wouldn't be a single Spit south of the 49th
parallel.   The only way I know to smash a windscreen, without actually
hitting it with something, is to subject it to rapid cyclic heating and
cooling - and even then they tend to be fairly resistant, only cracking
if there is an existing flaw/crack/chip to open up.

>Anyway, I called Autoglass (the most helpful company ever - genuinely
>impressive service) - they've quoted me 170 pounds for the glass and
>fitting...

What about the trim?   In my experience, Autoglass fitters are very
willing to try to refit chrome trim, but are totally incapable of doing
so, even with the right tool, and spending two hours on the job.

>That was for tinted - which I think will be the right choice to go
>for... I think....?

Tinted?!   Are you planning a career selling crack cocaine to your
fellow students? <g>

>Anyway, the car is currently sitting outside with parcel tape all over
>the windscreen - in case some yob comes along and tries to push
>it...hopefully that will keep it together....

It sounds as though this is a modern "safety" screen, rather than an
original one, so it should just stay in one piece until you (or a
passing yob) choose (chooses) to knock it out.

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FH105671