Re: 1147cc tune-up carb problems

To: William Davies <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Subject: Re: 1147cc tune-up carb problems
From: James Carruthers <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 18:05:28 +0100
William Davies wrote:

>I can't claim to be any good at tuning carbs, but I've always found balancing
>them very easy with nothing more than a length of plastic or metal tube about
>3/16" bore put to my ear, listening to each carb in turn.

Bill, I agree with this one.... a length of pipe is perfect for this -
that's all I use - it might help to be musical with this though...  :o)

Having said that - the one occassion that I managed to get the
Carbalancer to work it did tell me that they were slightly out after
having used the pipe method... so I think a proper one may be just that
little bit more accurate.

>>I havent tried the Clickadjust - but I've been tempted to but it each
>>time I see it... looks like it takes the slight amount of guess work out
>>of using a feeler gauge... and it compensates for wear? I think....
>>

>The clickadjust is an absolute godsend - I bought mine new and unused for a
>couple of quid from another club member. It makes the whole valve adjustment a
>piece of cake,
>    Cheers,
>        Bill.

I shall have to investigate this - I always find it a right pain to
adjust valves - one thing is turning over the engine to get them right -
usually use a big pipe wrench thing - but it always slips off and it's
heavy too... makes it a right pain... rolling the car never seems to
work either - even with the plugs out.

James

69 Signal Red Spit