Re: [Spits] Spitfire Leg Room

To: Matthew Milkevitch <mmilkevitch@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Spits] Spitfire Leg Room
From: Michael Porter <mdporter@dfn.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 20:41:46 -0600
Matthew Milkevitch wrote:
> Fellow Listers;
>
>   This may seem like an odd question about our Spits, but here goes....
>
>   I'm 6 ft 2 in tall and I really would like to get some more leg room in my
>'77 Spit.  I've gone ahead and moved the driver's seat back a couple of inches
>from the stock position.  However, I've found this is also inadequate.
>
>   Have any other tall listers found a solution to this problem (without
>selling the car and purchasing a larger LBC, that is)??

Not a Spit driver, but a close second--GT6.  People laugh when I say I
drive one (I'm 6'4").  I might manage a bit better than most because I'm
little longer in the thorax, rather than in the legs.  Getting the seat
back tilted back gets my head below the roof by about an inch (this
might work if your arms are long enough) and a smaller steering wheel
helps getting in and out.  I suspect it would be a real trial with the
stock steering wheel in place.

All that said, the angle my legs are at isn't comfortable, and the same
was true when I was driving a `63 Spit (several decades ago).
Unfortunately, age plays a big part in this.  Whereas I could manage
cross-country trips in the Spit in my early 20s, five or six hours in
the GT6 now is kinda hard on the frame. :) I don't think there's any
easy fix for aging bones and tendons....

Tilting the entire seat (raising the front of the seat and rotating the
seat back rearward) might be a partial fix. This, at least, would give a
bit more thigh support, but I haven't tried it yet.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....