Re: Whitworth tools

To: Tom Zuchowski <tzuchow@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: Whitworth tools
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 1998 21:45:18 -0400
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net

Tom Zuchowski wrote:

> I'm really getting tired of not having the right sized wrench for whatever
> I'm wrenching on my Bugeye.
>
> Does anyone have a good place for obtaining Whitworth tools? Moss wants an
> arm and a leg for a small set that just goes up to 1/2".
>
> For that matter, is there anything to know about the thread sizes? I'm
> rather new to this game. Where does one get Whitworth bolts and screws?
>
> Tom Zuchowski
> '61 Bugeye

Tom

What kind of bugeye do you have???
Mine is (for the most part) english, and us Americans got our measurments from
the english back in the colonial days.
Except for some odd fuel fittings on the carbs and gas tank the whole car is
standard nuts and bolts.
1/4 X 28, 5/16 X 24, and 3/8 X 24 and a 7/16", 1/2", or 9/16" wrench will take
apart the whole car.
You can get these wrench sizes at Sears, a $20 set will get you started.
For the odd carb float bowl bolts, try Robogrips or file out an old standard
wrench to fit.
I have been working on these cars most of my life (I'm no spring chicken anymore
either)
And do not own 1 whitworth tool, in fact since the US car makers started going
metric, I just recently had to buy a set of metric tools for my Ford!
--
Frank Clarici                         Toms River, NJ
Too many LBCs