RE: Disc conversion

To: Andrew Griffith <Andrew.Griffith@ReadRite.com>
Subject: RE: Disc conversion
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 13:33:07 -0800 (PST)
Cc: "'Larry and Sandi Miller'" <millerls@ado13.com>, "'spridgets@autox.team.net'" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Drew,

disc brakes take MORE pressure, that's part of the reason why most new
cars have brake boosters.  This also explains the switch to the smaller
M/C.  With the smaller piston, your foot moves less fluid per inch, thus
you get more brake fluid pressure per inch travel.
Same with driving in a lower gear - you have more power but you
go a shorter distance.

So if you end up with more pressure in the system, your rear brakes would
overbrake.  This would easily be fixed by installing a pressure regulator
in the line to the rear axle.

Ulix

On Wed, 13 Jan 1999, Andrew Griffith wrote:

> Thanks for the reply Larry,
> Well I've done the conversion to disc brakes already, but I'm concerned
> about spinning the car around when I have to hit the brakes, "Hard"!  Do you
> know if these earlier cars are prone to locking up the fronts after being
> converted to discs?
> I know that disc brakes require less pressure and fluid to get the same job
> done and when AH went to a standard disc brake in the front they also
> reduced the size of the MC bore from 7/8 to ¾, was this the reason?
> I'm hopping that I'll get responses from racers, who have been there and
> done that.
> My car is still not running, I'm sending the MC to Joe up at Sierra
> Specialty Automotive to get sleeved. As it turns out it looks my brake
> problem was my MC all along, I think. I'll be glad when I get past this
> braking problem cause I'm getting very impatient and want to put in my 120
> HP engine, and I'm not doing it till I can stop as fast as I can take off.
>
> -Drew

                                              '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9