Re: General Advice on Restoration Requested

To: hgoede@uswest.com
Subject: Re: General Advice on Restoration Requested
From: Daniel1312@aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 18:37:09 EST
Cc: hubbard@idir.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 12/2/1999  9:45:23PM,  hgoede@uswest.com writes:

<< People have been missing my point.  It is not that I do not appreciate some
of the
 modifications and understand their reasons.  I really love the period mods.
 I even helped a friend make a very driveable 64 with 1275, rib case .....
But, the
 car was nothing special to begin with.  The original 1098 was blown (and I
got a
 spare smotth case.)  It was one in several thousand at least.

 What I do not agree with is the idea of cutting up a good, rare car to make
what
 is essentially a limey hot rod. >>

Hi Herb,

I DO understand the point you was making (even though I run a limey hot
rod!!).  If the car is say a car at a certain change over point or say an
Austin Sprite it is worth keeping original.  On the other hand if it is just
another MkIV it doesn't really matter what happens to it.

There is however, a slightly different school of thinking over here.  It has
become very popular to rally historic cars (like Spridgets, A35s etc).
Rallies take various formats but can consist of driving over tarmac, gravel
tracks etc.  Cars can be modified to have Weber DCOE carbs fitted, race cams,
etc but turbos are out.  The phrase 'Period Modification' was born which means
if they did it when the cars were in production you can do it now.  For
instance you might put Wolseley big brake drums on a spridget but not Ford
Fiesta discs - ribcase box in a Bugeye, or fit an overdrive unit (tricky but
possible) but not a Datsun 5 speed.  So, the cars do end up being highly
modified while at the same time it is like going in a time warp because all
the modified parts are old or based on old designs.

Daniel1312