Re: General Advice on Restoration Requested

To: Daniel1312@aol.com
Subject: Re: General Advice on Restoration Requested
From: "Herbert Goede" <hgoede@uswest.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 14:45:13 -0700
Cc: hubbard@idir.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Daniel,

People have been missing my point.  It is not that I do not appreciate some of
the
modifications and understand their reasons.  I really love the period mods.
I even helped a friend make a very driveable 64 with 1275, rib case ..... But,
the
car was nothing special to begin with.  The original 1098 was blown (and I got a
spare smotth case.)  It was one in several thousand at least.

What I do not agree with is the idea of cutting up a good, rare car to make what
is essentially a limey hot rod.  It irritates me when I see an ad for a bugeye
that has been "totally restored" only to find out it has fiberglass flares,
seats
from a Pinto and the tranny from a Datsun - none of which were made within a
decade of the original car.

If someone who wants to build a 200 HP pocket rocket finds a bugeye that was
once
Donald Healey's personal driver,  I hope he sells it to me before firing up the
heliarc.  I'll find a trasher for him to melt down.

Herb