Re: General Advice on Restoration Requested

To: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>, "Herbert Goede" <hgoede@uswest.com>
Subject: Re: General Advice on Restoration Requested
From: "Larry Miller" <millerls@ado13.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 09:08:24 -0800
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
I agree with Mike.

Bugiii's was converted to 1 1/4" carbs in the late 60's and to wires and
disc brakes in the mid 70's.

The dash was also modified and it has some rinky dink flares from the early
70's when it had huge tires on the rear.

I could definitely qualify as a DPO, but I will be dead and won't care.

But...I still have the original 1 1/8 carbs with all the fix'ins, the
original hubs, all of the original gauges (some work) and switches (some
work), the original washer pump (it still works but ain't in the car). I
have the original grille even though it is way beyond repair. I have the
original tail light and signal light backing plates and rubber, they are is
pretty sorry shape but I do have them. I kept the original radiator up until
a couple of years ago even though it had a large hole in the tank (don't
ask) with an unsightly patch on it. I also have the original hubcaps and
they are in very good shape since they were removed many years ago.

Believe it or not, I'm still using the original starter from Bugiii's on the
red car. It's been rebuilt a couple of times and is approaching another one.

I let a few original parts get away over the years and have always been
sorry for it, mainly the original wheels, seat cushions, seat backs, and
tach drive generator.

I am currently in the process of tearing the car down for a rebuild and am
contemplating restoring it to it's original form. Some of the original parts
will not be usable but I will keep them anyway.

The point is that I would never do anything to a Bugeye that could not be
reversed but at the same time feel that it's your car, time, and money so do
what you want. Besides, if you have the time and money there is not much you
can do that cannot be undone.

To repeat what Mike said, keep everything.

My .02, Larry Miller