Re: Im pulling apart my baby bumble-bee

To: "robert weeks" <robert@woozy.com>, "Mark Snowdon" <racer45@bellsouth.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Im pulling apart my baby bumble-bee
From: "Bruce Woodward" <brucewoodward@kconline.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 20:16:37 -0500
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Robert Weeks wrote:

>Man am I ever sore and tired. If it takes up all of your spare time and
>money is it still called a hobby??

> ;-)

> Robert

Driving up to visit Ron Hahneman of Spridgetech in Michigan a coupla weeks
ago, my fourteen year old son read my Craftsman Tool Catalogue from cover to
cover, spending over three hours engrossed into toolboxes and tools.
Questions were asked and I answered to best of my ability, but then again,
at 43 I'm still learning too.

coming home after visiting the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn that same trip
and seeing "exploded" cars and the MG-TD on the floor there, I asked my son
if he wanted to use some tools.  He asked what could we do? to which I
replied," we can pull the motor & tranny out of the Midget!"

his response?   "COOL!"

we pulled that motor the next day.  he had no qualms about crawling
underneath (on jackstands all way round), and he verified he had his safety
glasses on.   He drain the tranny and sump, unbolted the tranny mount bolts,
grounding strap, then came up and undid the motor mounts and shifter shaft
while I took care of wiring, fuel line and radiator.

As we pulled the motor with a rented hydraulic lift ($16 overnite rate), he
watched closely for any appendages getting snagged, and we discussed what
the various peripherals on the motor were.

Not a cuss word nor a "crap" was heard out of him, and you all should have
seen his eyes light up when I gave him the air ratchet to remove the motor
mount bolts.

Since that day, his school locker has been covered with Spridget photos and
he talks of his efforts on the car and calls or checks in every day to see
what I'm getting accomplished (he lives with his mom & stepdad).  He tells
all his buddies about his Dad with the BRG '65 Midget and what a blast it is
to ride in and work on.

Well, the motor rec'd new oil pump, gaskets all the way around (had been
sitting for eight years), degreased, new rubber hoses, painted, engine
compartment painted and spiffed up.  My son came over to help me get it back
in.  It went smoothly and was done in a matter of 2 1/2 leisurely hours.  He
even took the time after installing the shift lever to grab ahold of the
steering wheel and do the obligatory "Vroom, vroom".  Our only regret is
that I'm waiting on a new exhaust manifold, and we could not fire it up,
even if just on the jackstands.

I believe my son is an LBC'er.  My first indication was picking him up after
he celebrated his 14th birthday while in Switzerland on a Boy Scout Trip
(why didn't we do that when I was a kid?)   As I pulled in the drive of his
mothers home with my new acquisition, he said "this is the part where you
say 'Happy Birthday, Son'"

An LBC'er?  I think so.

brucewoodward@kconline.com
'65 BRG Midget, renewed
one palmeranian that thinks it's a cat
always looking to flatten cats with a Ford Explorer
( hate em, best cat is a dead cat)