Re: Positive Ground

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Positive Ground
From: Bkitterer@aol.com
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 02:45:32 EST
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 3/18/99 12:50:02 AM, Herb_Goede@amsinc.com writes:

<< The hard part about installing a neg ground radio is isolating the ground.
You see the antennae is hooked to ground on the radio.  So as soon as you
install the antenna in the body and it grounds to the meatl you have a
direct short.  One way around this I suppose is to not use a standard car
antennae or to somehow keep the antennae from grounding to the car. >>

There is (was) an antenna that attaches to the body panels by two insulated
stand offs.  That is it has two "plastic" mounts that go on the body.  Then
the antenna passes through the plastic mounts with the lead wire coming off of
the bottom of the antenna.  I put the plastic mounts in the rear license plate
recess, ran the lead under the rear panel.  There is a plug in the center rear
bottom that the lead can be passed through.  If you mount the radio in or
under the dash you will need an antenna lead wire extension.  In 1960 I
thought the antenna looked pretty cool on the back of "my" Sprite.  We never
put a radio in "her" Sprite, which is the car that we still have.

Bob and Annice
1960 Sprite (Mk IV in disguise)