RE: Big end bearings, was RE: Manifold for a Fish Carb?

To: "Jeff Boatright" <jboatri@emory.edu>, "Robert Weeks" <lists@woozy.com>
Subject: RE: Big end bearings, was RE: Manifold for a Fish Carb?
From: "Robert Weeks" <lists@woozy.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 11:35:29 -0500
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Hey Jeff,

Yup, That's exactly what I did. I had pretty low oil pressure and that
knocking with a hammer sound. Someone from the local MG Club came over and
we put the car up on ramps and jackstands and dropped the pan. We checed all
of the big end bearings, and the crankshaft to see if there was anything
else going on down there (spun bearing, scoring of the crank, etc.) We also
got the bearing size off of the old bearings at that time. After that we
bolted everything back together (since the car was my daily driver at that
time) and I ordered the proper bearings, Nylock nuts, gaskets and pan bolts.
The next weekend I dropped the pan again and installed the new bearings,
Nylocks, a new pan gasket and new pan bolts and washers.

It is a royal pain working under there and you will find that there is no
way to keep oil out of your face, eyes, etc. If you have access to a lift it
will make this job much more pleasant. One item that will come in really
handy is a few short lengths of rubber gas line hose. You slip these over
the big end studs to prevent them from marring the crank during disassembly
and assembly.

YMMV, but I was able to get 6 months to a year more out of the engine that
way. It may have even lasted much longer but I found a spare 1275 to rebuild
and I put that in when I had it ready.

Good luck,

Robert