Re: gasoline pricing

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: gasoline pricing
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2000 15:17:58 -0500
I'm not ipso facto mass transit, either. In fact, I was among a core
group that stopped what we felt was a very ill-conceived light rail
line through the neighborhoods to campus. In the end, I don't think
mass transit will ever work in America except in older cities that
bit the bullet years ago and went underground.

Again, though, the real question is not how pleasant or unpleasant
etc. mass transit is or is not. The question is, at what point does
my freedom to zip around in a Sprite/SUV/moon buggy encroach on my
neighbor's freedom to not put up with the smell/noise/pollution/etc?

At 2:00 PM -0500 3/9/00, Ajhsys@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 3/9/00 12:13:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>jboatri@emory.edu writes:
>
><< I don't think we're moving towards this goal in
> some areas quite yet, one of them being the clash between freedoms of
> personal transportation encroaching on freedoms of personal standards
> of living. >>
>
>- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>
>If mass transit were more pleasant to use and less expensive than driving and
>parking, perhaps we could move toward these goals.  As it is, in Philly at
>least, the only time it is safe to use the trains to get in and out of the
>city is at rush hour when the trains are crowded.
>
>BTW, it isn't our LBCs that are causing most of the pollution.  Look at the
>standards for emissions for SUVs, which are considered trucks.  Look at the
>pollution from electric power generating plants that burn coal.  Look at the
>inner city cars that blow smoke all over, are not inspected legally, and are
>uninsured, despite laws against these things.
>
>BTW, I'm finished on this thread.
>
>Allen Hefner
>SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
>'77 Midget
>'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Assistant Professor, Emory Eye Center, Atlanta, GA, USA
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision, http://www.molvis.org/molvis
mailto:jboatri@emory.edu