Re: Another nut(ty) question

To: eddie_sheffield@yahoo.com, CNAArndt@aol.com
Subject: Re: Another nut(ty) question
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 05:58:56 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 10/22/2001 10:16:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
eddie_sheffield@yahoo.com writes:

> If it turns out the steel stiff nuts I have do not meet the inspection you
> mentioned, is a nylock an acceptable replacment?

I don't think so.   This sounds like a critical application to me and while
nyloc nuts are reusable, the Bowman tech manual states that "these nuts
(nyloc) are limited in thier reuse as compared with all-matel prevailint
torque-type lock nuts. . .When reused the prevailing-on torque can be as much
as 60% less than the initial prevailing torque resistance.  Therefore
vibrational resistance is greatly reduced.  They are NOT for use with
high-strength fasteners unless specially marked with grade markings. .
.Neither grade can be used in elevated temperatures above 250 degrees F as
the nylon softens, or will melt, reducing locking effect."  I think if I am
working on a critical part, that if it failed would absolutely wreck me, I
would go with stock or better. Nylocs are not better.

Just my loose change on the subject (with an informed interject by Bowman).

--David C.