RE: Handling, TR vs. Spridgets

To: "'PilotRob@webtv.net'" <PilotRob@webtv.net>
Subject: RE: Handling, TR vs. Spridgets
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 07:58:39 -0600
Cc: SDOliner@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Kind Sir,

It was a tough call, to say the least, and if I drove another 356, it might
very well change (it's been 20 years).  I definitely liked the 356 more, and
it certainly did have more personality.  I found it fun to wag it's tail as
well, but there was always that doubt as to whether I would wag the tail or
the tail would wag me.  I had a very good 356 friend at the time that was
quite good at wagging the tail, and we were zipping along have a great day
when his tail started to wag him, spun out nicely into a
ditch....fortunately I missed him.  On a race track, I would pick the 356
any day, though I know there have been epic battles between MGBs and 356s
for years, with each side claiming victory in turn.  But for the road, when
unexpected events can happen, where curves can be tighter than expected, or
a patch of leaves or other slick spot can be found at exactly the wrong
moment, the trusty B is better balanced to get through it without going
stern first into the rough stuff.  Wagging the tail on the Midget is much
more predictable, and thus fun, because it doesn't have the entire engine
hanging out the back, just waiting to take it's place at the head of the
line.  All that said, I would very much like to have another 356 someday,
but it would have to be in addition to the two cars I already have.  The
Midget is the ultimate little fun machine so it's a keeper, and I think the
944S2 Cab is the ultimate high speed handler (never, ever breaks away) and
long distance machine, so it's a keeper as well.  Given my kids are 8 and
10, I doubt I'll be adding to my stable any time soon!!!

Keep the shiny side up,
Coastie Bob
'74 MG Midget
'90 944S2 Cab