Re: Garage planning (long)

To: nosimport@mailbag.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Garage planning (long)
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 23:17:06 EST
In a message dated 1/24/02 5:42:54 PM Eastern Standard Time,
nosimport@mailbag.com writes:

<< Also, if you are doing a small project and need a couple of 2 x 4's, go to
 >Home Defect and ask where their reject cart is.

 I thought that's what the whole place was.............

Here here, well said Peter.
I hate that place,

I think 24" wide work bench across the back is plenty wide. The truth of the
matter is that when you have that much surface area, the "work bench" becomes
more of a storage shelf. I have a few outbuildings littered in my backyard
(it is an old dairy farm)
and in my "Triumph garage" (10 feet wide) I built a workbench/shelf that is
high enough for the front of the car to drive under. Great storage space. A
little too high as a workbench, but with an old vise, very handy for
hacksawing and bending all my precision parts.

I would suggest that building from scratch, you use 3/4 MDF for your work
bench top. Very clean surface. I have covered other old work benches with
masonite and that works well too.

I am a big fan of peg board for the walls. Maybe because I have a few buckets
full of hooks, from a neighbor who does demo work in supermarkets. Painted
white (I am too cheap to buy the pre coated stuff) it makes for a very neat
and organized looking garage. Just use a hot glue gun to keep the hooks in
place.

For your main work bench get the biggest meanest looking vise you can find.

Just my opinion.

David Oliner
59,60 Bugeyes
67 TR4A