Re: Axle HELP

To: GMGoodman@aol.com
Subject: Re: Axle HELP
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 10:43:11 -0700
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Jerry,

I have only broken an axle once in the last 30 years and that was
within a month of the first Bugeye I purchased. Granted, I don't
drive them as much or as hard as many here do.

 From the standpoint of increasing your odds of no problems with your
replacement, you are better off replacing an axle from the same side
of the car as your broken one. The reason being that the axle has
been torqued in one direction all it's life and when you start
applying toque in the opposite direction it is (as I understand it)
more susceptible to breaking. I imagine it's like flexing a piece of
metal back and forth and how that will cause it to eventually break.

There is also a method I have seen done that strengthens axles by
tapering and shot peening them. This distributes the stress away from
the weaker points on the shaft. Somewhere I have a photos and/or a
web link.

Gerard