Re: Axle HELP

To: GMGoodman@aol.com
Subject: Re: Axle HELP
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 14:57:21 -0500
Cc: healeys@autox.team.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Jerry,

You don't need a competition axle for a street car, unless perhaps you
run pretty serious autocross.

I broke an axle in my racecar and replaced it with competition type, but
I'm running sticky race tires and a welded diff, which puts a LOT of
strain on axles.  I know a number of people running stock axles on
racecars without a problem, although they are typically running less
sticky (mostly street) tires.

Besides locked or welded rear ends, I think the biggest reason axles
break is because of too much slop in the rear bearings.  You need to make
sure that either your axle or your hubs are not worn to the point that
the wheel can rock back and forth.

I suggest you get a used set of the later axles, as others have
described.  Check your hubs, and if there is no slop you probably will
never have another problem.

Of course, you can use the competition axles, but you'll have to buy a
pair for $600.  They also have a higher center so you might have a
problem with fitting wheel centers, etc.

David Littlefield.