RE: CA- no insurance...

To: "'Jacques Le Clainche'" <hobbycars@cox.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: CA- no insurance...
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 08:30:52 -0600
Back the around 1976, I had a 1955 DeSoto Firedome Hemi 2 door hardtop.

I was in heavy traffic, doing about 40, when the car in front of me hit the
binders hard. Although it was 2 lanes in each direction, the right lane was
barricaded, under construction, with about a 2' drop off. I hit the brakes
hard, and the mater cylinder failed. I couldn't veer into oncoming traffic
either.

I smacked hard into the rear of a 1968 Torino wagon... hard enough that he
smacked into the car in front of him. No one was hurt.

The back end of the wagon was all curled under... seriously bent. The
DeSoto? Cracked a bumper, and motor mounts broke... sliding the entire drive
line forward 2" so the fan cut the radiator. No sheet metal damage at all.

I had no insurance. The guy I hit... about my age, was cool about it. He
said he'd just bought the car a few weeks earlier, for $400. If I'd pay him
$400, we'd be even (and he'd give me the Torino).

My parents were very concerned about all of this. They contacted a lawyer
for me to speak to. The attorney's advice? Claim the guy I hit backed in to
me. Neither I nor my parents were impressed.

I made arrangements to come to the guy's house over the weekend to pay for,
and pick up the wagon (which despite its damage was drivable).

When I got there, his father answered the door. His son had been killed the
night before in an accident, at 3AM, driving home from a bar, in a night
with heavy fog.