Re: what's wrong with this picture???

To: wsthompson@thicko.com, team-thicko@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: what's wrong with this picture???
From: S800Racer@aol.com
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 14:03:47 EDT
In a message dated 9/18/99 7:15:31 PM, wsthompson@thicko.com writes:

<<That's all for now... quit lurking and speak up out there...

Flounder>>

    Hello out there in Thicko land!
    I post some things to the vintage-race list and mostly lurk on the Thicko
list.  I am Doug Meis, driver of the #82 Honda S800 Coupe and 1/2 of the Team
Escargot drivers. The other half is my father who has a 1969 Honda powered
D-sports racer.  Sadly, the D-sports was all but destroyed in an accident at
the Glen a couple of weeks ago.  Thankfully, Dad was not hurt.
    I am also the Group 1 (small-bore production cars) representative.  I am
not sure if I am the official or unofficial Group rep as SVRA doesn't seem to
be recognizing Group reps these days.  Nevertheless, I have sworn to continue
as the Group rep whether SVRA gives a hoot or not.  I have a mailing list of
about 30 or 40 small bore people (actually it's their cars that are
small-bore) and if anyone would like me to add their address to the list, let
me know and you will receive race reports, a pin, a patch, a t-shirt and
suitable-for-framing certificate.  Okay, truth is you'll only get the race
reports and occasional discussions about Group 1 issues.
    I enjoy reading about the exploits of the Thicko bunch both on and off
the track.  As it seems to be primarily a Mid-west area happening, we have
not the opportunity to be party to the debauchery  (which we deeply regret).
In our one and only trip to Road America, Team Thicko kept a very low
profile.  Very unthicko-like.  It was the BRIC 1998 and as I understand it,
during the dark days before the return of the Flounder from some domestic and
personal unpleasantness.
    It sounds like you guys really emphasize the social aspects of the
weekend and keep the parties at full-throttle.  The camaraderie of the folks
in vintage racing is why I love this sport and I truly envy everyone at the
Thicko villages on race weekends.  I hear that the Flounder is actually
considering a trip south to Summit Point on certain conditions (which the
track management is attempting to meet).  We would love to see the RRB in
action.

    Doug Meis - Team Escargot