Re: TR6 ZS needle adjustment

To: pjb@eagle.gsh.jhu.edu
Subject: Re: TR6 ZS needle adjustment
From: "Randell Jesup" <jesup@scala.scala.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 95 22:48:58 EDT
>>        I can't help with the mixture adjustment via the needle - my car
>>('70) is from that wonderful time with no jet adjustment AND no needle
>>adjustment.  Don't you just love it?

>Hmm. Well mine's a '71, build date Oct. 70. After going back to the
>Bentley's last night, I did notice that there is a note above the mixture
>adjustment section which reads something like "Not applicable to early
>carburettors". Is there a possibility that I really don't have that
>adjustment either?

        Check the tags on the carbs.  For '70, C3292LH/RH are non-adjustable,
C3365LH/RH are adjustable, supposedly.  The easiest way to check is to remove
the dashpots (carefully), empty the oil out, and peer up the damper tubes to
see if there's a allen-key hole at the bottom.

>As far as the air trim-screws, I thought those were something that were
>just progressively turned inward as the motor ages, until fully blocked
>off. They were in fact about a full turn out on my carbs though.

        Well, I think they're supposed to compensate for increased air-leakage
past other things, like the butterfly bushes.  Turning them in allows less
air past (since the bushes are allowing more).  In some of the later emmisions
plates they're listed as "idle mixture screws".  Note that they have little
impact above idle.
--
Randell Jesup, Scala US R&D
Randell.Jesup@scala.com