Re: TR O/D Gearbox Oil

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR O/D Gearbox Oil
From: pcarson@primenet.com (Paul A. Carson)
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 1995 20:45:34 -0700
At 02:00 PM 6/6/95 -0400, Paul Swengler wrote:

>I'm not sure which manual TeriAnne gets her specs, but my manual shows
>either 80 or 90 wt depending upon temperature! Of course my manual is for
>the TR250 TR6. She may be looking at the TR3.

>>Regarding TR4 O/D gearbox oil, TeriAnn wrote:
>>>Use 30 wt motor oil. Do not use 90 wt.  Do not put anything strange &
slippery
>>>into the transmission unless you want to rebuild the OD unit.  Look at your
>>>users manual for acceptable fluids.  If you don't have a user's manual you
>>>probably should pick one up.
>
>>Cox and Buckles in the UK recommend Castrol ST-90 for all TR gearboxes, I
>>guess this is the same weight as EP-90 (used in the diff.) but without the
>>EP additive. >>Phil Searle

What do I have to add?
Well.....................................................

Looking at my factory TR4 (4A supplement) Workshop Manual listed as
Recommended Lubricants for the Gearbox and Overdrive/ Rear Axle (British Isles):
MOBIL                            SHELL                            ESSO

Mobilube GX.90              Shell Spirax 90EP             Esso Gear Oil
GP.90/140

B.P.                             CASTROL                          DUCKHAMS
Energol SAE 90 E.P.         Castrol Hypoy                 Duckham's Hypoid 90

     For Recommended Lubricants - Overseas Countries: (Over 30 Degrees F.),
virtually the same as above, except a specification of 80 instead of 90 when
temps are below 30F.  A final note under S.A.E. & A.P.I. Designation lists
G.L.4 Hypoid 90.

     My original factory handbook states the same numbers and lubricants.

     The factory workshop manual elaborates:
     Stated under Top-Up Gearbox (3,000 mi. lubrication)"...filled with an
extreme pressure (Hypoid) lubricant, top up the gearbox...".
     Stated under Overdrive Filter (6,000 mi. lubrication) "...The same oil
is used both for the overdrive unit and the gearbox, an internal transfer
hole allows oil to flow from the gearbox into the overdrive unit until a
common level is attained.
(Italicized) Do not use additives; their use may be detrimental to the
proper operation of the unit."

     Looking at my Service Instruction Manual for the Laycock-De-Normanville
Overdrive Unit with Electrical Control (TR2, Vanguard, Renown (A-Type)) it
is stated
on page 5 under Care and Lubrication..."The oil in the overdrive is common
with that in the gearbox.  The oil to use is ordinary mineral oil in the
following grades:
Normal summer climates -- S.A.E. 30.
Normal winter climates -- S.A.E. 20.
Under no circumstances should extreme pressure gear oils be used, because
the centrifugal effect of the planets may seperate some of the additives
from the oil and cause sludging."

     Is this information contradictory?  Have we learned anything new in 25+
years?  I am certainly anxious to know the answer to this as I have a nicely
rebuilt gearbox and overdrive for my 4A (1000 miles) and I am currently
running Castrol Hypoy in it. I will add that a very well respected
professional Healey mechanic friend of mine was amazed when I told him that
the manual stated EP 90.  Amazed because to his recollection every other car
with an A-type overdrive used 30 wt.
     Did oil technology improve between the TR2 and TR4 years to prevent
this sludging, so Hypoy oil could be used?

Help.............What IS the answer?
Paul A. Carson                         1967 Triumph TR-4A / CTC 78299LO
Program Manager/Flight Test Navigator  1974 Norton Commando 850 Mk. II
Big Safari                             1988 Isuzu Trooper SE
Lockheed - Martin Aircraft Services    1993 Honda Civic EX
Ontario, Ca
(909) 338-9873

Yes...I really do wear a Nomex flight suit to work everyday...to keep the
flames off!