GT6 help - esp. Bay Area solers

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: GT6 help - esp. Bay Area solers
From: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 1995 13:17:45 -0400
        Hi all, I have wonderful news.  After 2 years of planning, my girlfriend
and I are finally moving to San Francisco.  Caitlin (my S.O.) got a job offer
with
Intuit (Sp?) and will probably get another this week.  On the downside, she will
have to start in 3 weeks and I won't finish the Ph.D. until the end of August.
        Anyway, She will be driving the Spit/6. Presently it is her favorite
car
and I'd really like to keep it that way:-).  So I have a ton of work that I'm
going to do over the next 2 weeks -  bottom end engine rebuild, replace diff,
replace convertible roof, finish off interior.  The first major problem I face
is finding
an overdrive transmission.  I called John Kipping spares and they are currently
at
least 6 weeks behind in their overdrive orders.  I really don't want to drive
from Michigan to California with a 3:89 rear end and no overdrive.  Would
anybody
be willing to sell me an overdrive transmission either outright or with the
understanding that I would order another one from Kipping?  I know some of
you have more than one laying around.  Also, Cait really wants to get in touch
with someone who knows Triumphs well.  She is hoping that someone will
volunteer to drive the car periodically and check for trouble.  I'd really
appreciate any help
        The particulars of the car are:  71 GT6 mk II driveline, suspension,
and engine; 79 spitfire bodyshell