Re: TR O/D Gearbox Oil

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR O/D Gearbox Oil
From: egilk@oslonett.no (Egil Kvaleberg)
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 1995 16:39:58 +0100
Newsgroups: mail.triumphs
A short update on the question of OD oils.

I have consulted the local Mobil technical office for a list of
recommended oils for cars equipped with manual gearboxes with
Laycock de Normanville ODs. (For referrence, I've put the corresponding
Mobil product name in parenthesis):

Volvo:                  Auto Gear oil, ATF type F or G             (ATF-210)
Jaguar XJ3.4/4.2:       Gear oil GL5                (Synthetic gear oil GL5)
Triumph:                Gear oil GL4                (Synthetic gear oil GL4)
MG:                     Motor oil                                  (Mobil 1)
Range Rover:            Motor oil                                  (Mobil 1)

It would almost seem like "anything goes".

A few additional notes for those who want do go their own ways:

* Auto gear oils are used to make gearing easy in very cold weather. It
  might increase the noise level somewhat, though.

* On some old gearboxes, GL5 may attack bronze syncros etc. Use GL4.

* Additives and oils especially formulated for Limited Slip differentials
  should be avoided in gearboxes. Again, GL4 should be safe.

* GL5 spec is preferred for hypoid differentials, although GL4 is
  probably good enough. Never use engine or ATF oil.

* Although no formal specification exists, engine oil would be
  roughly equivalent to GL3-spec gearoil when used in gearboxes.

I hope not to have added further to the confusion!

Egil

--
Email: egilk@oslonett.no  Voice: +47 22523641/92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Smail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway