Re: Spitfire overdrive

To: lmdpth@lmd.ericsson.se (LMD/T/TB Peter Thorsen), triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire overdrive
From: "Doug Mitchell" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 1995 07:41:19 -0500 "Spitfire overdrive" (Nov 3, 11:46am)
> Subject: Spitfire overdrive
> Hi
>
> I consider installing an overdrive in my Spitfire Mk3 to lower
> the noise at highway speeds. One manual I have tell that I have to
> move the gearbox/engine to install the overdrive, another says I don't,
> which is true?. I believe I have to exchange the main shaft with a
> 'frictionless' type whatever that means.
> Are these OD units mechanicly stable or am I asking for trouble
> installing one?
> I've read that one some models the switch is on the gearknob, while
> on others it is installed with the other contacts, I believe that it
> is most convenient to have it on the gearknob.
>
> I appreciate any help, I am still a black hole for spitfire wisdom
>
>  Thanks, Peter
>
>-- End of excerpt from LMD/T/TB Peter Thorsen

Peter,

If you have access to a box with the OD already attached, it is a fairly
straight-forward job, necessitating only the addition of the correct
rear box mount, a different driveshaft, a switch and relay, and the correct
wiring.

If you are planning on installing an OD onto an existing non-OD box, the
process is a lot more complicated. It involves replacing the tailshaft,
the complete rear of the 'box, as well as the parts listed above.

As far as reliability, my OD unit outlasted three (3) rebuilds of the
trans, finally needing rebuilding at 22 years, and about 109k miles.

I wish you luck.

TTFN
Doug Mitchell