Re: TR3's brakes

To: hal@gort.space.swri.edu
Subject: Re: TR3's brakes
From: John Wroclawski <jtw@lcs.mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 1995 18:04:17 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net(hal@gort.space.swri.edu)
   From: hal@gort.space.swri.edu

     I need some advise on my TR3.  I had not driven it for about 10
   weeks.  When I finally took the car out, it had no brakes.

Presuming a later 3/3A with girling brakes: There is a component
inside the master cylinder which looks like a small round coffee-table
with three legs (on the valve stalk attached to the main piston). This
doo-dad is part of the mechanism that allows brake fluid to get from
the reservoir through the m/c and into the brakes. It is crucial to
the correct operation of the cylinder, but isn't supplied in any
rebuild kit that I know of. Unfortunately the original pot-metal ones
corrode or wear over time, eventually causing the cylinder to fail to
pump fluid from the reservoir. There are of course other causes of
this, but if you have a full reservoir, no obvious leaks, and no
brakes, this is a good bet.

New plastic ones are $1.00 or so from TRF.

                -john
--
John Wroclawski
jtw@lcs.mit.edu