Re: MC rebuilds

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MC rebuilds
From: John Wroclawski <jtw@lcs.mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 1995 18:28:50 -0500
   From: CTDreher@aol.com

   With all due respect to the fellow who suggested that minor pits in
   a master cylinder can be removed with emory cloth or
   sandpaper... DON'T!  Your fingers aren't accurate enough to insure
   a perfectly concentric bore and it is way too easy to leave a small
   trough.  For less than $20, at any auto parts store, you can
   get an electric-drill powered brake hone that will last you the
   rest of your life.  Use it with a variable speed drill and take your time.

Just wanted to add one thing here, which is that, at least in my
experience, using a standard hone on an aluminium cylinder gives a
very short rebuild life. The standard honing stones are designed for
cast iron cylinders, and they leave an excessively rough finish on
aluminium. I've had good luck with polishing the cylinder bore after
honing out any tiny pits or whatever. I do this by wrapping a scrap of
soft cloth around the hones, using that tool and some soft-metal
polish to finish the job, and then cleaning the blazes out of the
cylinder with brake fluid and pipe cleaners to make sure all the
polish is gone.

--
John Wroclawski
jtw@lcs.mit.edu