TR2 Markings

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR2 Markings
From: "Paul A. Carson" <pcarson@primenet.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 23:31:15 -0700 (MST)
Hi All,
I was over at Absolutely British on my lunch break and was watching them
pull the last few items off of a TR2 longdoor.  The TR2 is undergoing its
first frame-off restoration. Once you get past the original color
(geranium), its really not in that bad of shape.  They've already replaced
the floorboards and battery box, as well as rebuilding the engine.

When the mechanic (Eric) pulled the id plate off of the car, there was this
marking underneath the plate in yellow chalk.
                                      2mx
                                      NIL
Anyone heard of this?  What could it mean?

As an aside, the car has been stored for ten years after the owner had the
engine rebuilt (unfortunately, he does not remember who the idiot is) and it
started making "funny sounds" after 150 miles or so.  When Eric tore the
engine down, the crankshaft was broken, the oil pump was broken, 2 pistons
were cracked, THREE different pushrods were found, and the front plate was
worn through by a rubbing timing chain tensioner.
Wow.

Moss sold them a new crankshaft(Made in India) for a princely sum.  Since we
all have to be thankful that Moss IS remanufacturing the crankshaft, I
shouldn't complain about the tremendous effort expended by the machine shop
to balance this crank.  I've never seen so much metal drilled out and
shaved.  I suppose I also shouldn't complain b.c. it isn't my car.  Anyhow,
I suppose the lesson learned is "Even if you spend $800 beans on a new
crankshaft, don't expect it to be perfect...or even close to perfect."

See Ya..
Paul A. Carson                          Program Manager/Test Navigator
P.O. Box 683,                           Big Safari
Crestline, CA 92325                     MC/NC/EC/C-130E/H Aircraft
(909)338-9873                           Lockheed-Martin Aircraft Service Co.,
pcarson@primenet.com                    Ontario, CA 91761
http://www.primenet.com/~pcarson/       (909)395-2975