Re: Spitfire 1500 engines

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire 1500 engines
From: Phil Willson <P.J.Willson@qmw.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 09:11:19 GMT
Ho Ho Ho (very seasonal)

I think I stirred up a hornets nest, sorry!  Between you, I think you've
brought up most of the points regarding
the relative benefits of large or small pistons, long or short stroke, high
revs/ low torque or low revs/high torque.
The thing is that most of you are quite correct in what you say and that is why
the design of any engine has to
be a compromise to suit the car and its 'modus operandi'.

You can get more torque from a 1300 engine by tuning it.  What you need is a
more powerful explosion in the
combustion chamber (suitably timed, of course) so that the down force on the
piston is greater.  This is turned
into increased rotational torque by the action of the crankshaft.

The increased forces would normally mean a greater rate of wear on the
crankshaft lobes which is why they are
often hardened by a process  known (in the UK, at least) as 'Tuftriding . '
Also, longevity and high revving are
helped by have the rotating parts accurately balanced, which again is easier
and less critical for the shorter
stroke engine.

All this is definitely IMHO because I've never uprated an engine in my life.  I
prefer to learn from the experiences
and disasters of others.  It's more fun when you know you're not paying for it!

Phil
TSSC 13/60 secretary
Nice, steady, slow old LBC's

From:   Phil Willson