Help for Novice Mechanic

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Help for Novice Mechanic
From: "Bruce A. Krobusek" <74106.1335@compuserve.com>
Date: 17 Nov 95 14:59:02 EST
>I tried to start it this morning and it gave a good try, but suddenly all
>I got was that "click" that is normally heard when the battery is low
>or if a starter solenoid is bad and is not letting the starter turn to
>thrust the gear into the flywheel.  I checked the battery and it was fine.

It still sounds like a weak battery to me. How did you check it? Simply
measuring the voltage with the starter disengaged won't tell you too
much as you're not measuring the battery under load. Try removing
the cables and making sure that the posts and cable ends are clean
(no corrosion). If that doesn't help, try putting the battery on a charger,
try another battery, or get someone to help try jump starting it. I'd not
try looking for other faults until you've exhausted any possibility that
the battery's not the problem.

     - BAK -

      Bruce A. Krobusek
        Rochester   NY