Help for Novice Mechanic

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Help for Novice Mechanic
From: "john tolbert" <jtolbert@tricon.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 17:36:58 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <jtolbert@kpt1.tricon.net>
I have a 79 1500.  With the cooler weather, I've not had it out of
the garage for a while.  I tried to start it this morning and it gave
a good try, but suddenly all I got was that "click" that is normally
heard when the battery is low or if a starter solenoid is bad and is
not letting the starter turn to thrust the gear into the flywheel.  I
checked the battery and it was fine.  I checked out the solenoid,
thinking it the next best bet and although I couldn't find anything
wrong, I changed it out.  Still, all I have is that "click."  I did
turn the square end of the shaft on the starter in case it was stuck
in the flywheel.  No help there.  It turned freely.

I'm not sure what to do next.  My best guess is that it is the
starter.  I've never had a starter go out on any car I have owned, so
I don't know what to expect.  Can anyone share their experiences with
me or give me some direction?

Many thanks in advance!
John L. Tolbert