Re: Help for Novice Mechanic

To: jtolbert@tricon.net
Subject: Re: Help for Novice Mechanic
From: Killjoy@aol.com
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 1995 14:42:34 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>I have a 79 1500.  With the cooler weather, I've not had it out of
>the garage for a while.  I tried to start it this morning and it gave
>a good try, but suddenly all I got was that "click" that is normally
>heard when the battery is low or if a starter solenoid is bad and is
>not letting the starter turn to thrust the gear into the flywheel.  I
>checked the battery and it was fine.  I checked out the solenoid,
>thinking it the next best bet and although I couldn't find anything
>wrong, I changed it out.  Still, all I have is that "click."  I did
>turn the square end of the shaft on the starter in case it was stuck
>in the flywheel.  No help there.  It turned freely.
>
>I'm not sure what to do next.  My best guess is that it is the
>starter.  I've never had a starter go out on any car I have owned, so
>I don't know what to expect.  Can anyone share their experiences with
>me or give me some direction?

The first thing I'd want to know is HOW you checked your battery.  Did you
just check the voltage, or did you check the specific gravity of the
electrolyte?  Did you perform (or have done for you) any kind of load test?

It is common that a battery will show good on a voltmeter, yet not be able to
deliver enough juice to keep a solenoid thrown, much less start an engine.
 Get a battery hydrometer: at about $5, they are cheap, and tell you far more
than a multimeter.

But this could be the starter.  Any decent auto parts store will bench test
your starter free, but you do have to pull it out and bring it in.

Michael Turley
'67 Spitfire Mk2