Re: Help for Novice Mechanic

To: "john tolbert" <jtolbert@tricon.net>
Subject: Re: Help for Novice Mechanic
From: gautreau@ix.netcom.com (J Gautreau )
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 1995 16:38:36 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
You wrote:

>I have a 79 1500.  With the cooler weather, I've not had it out of
>the garage for a while.  I tried to start it this morning and it gave
>a good try, but suddenly all I got was that "click" that is normally
>heard when the battery is low or if a starter solenoid is bad and is
>not letting the starter turn to thrust the gear into the flywheel.  I
>checked the battery and it was fine.  I checked out the solenoid,
>thinking it the next best bet and although I couldn't find anything
>wrong, I changed it out.  Still, all I have is that "click."  I did
>turn the square end of the shaft on the starter in case it was stuck
>in the flywheel.  No help there.  It turned freely.

    I've had 2 starters die in the past 3 years on my 70 TR6 with the
same symptoms. On the first, I followed the same process you did.
Thought it was the battery, then the solonoid, finally pulled the
starter. Did a quick bench test (wired it direct to the battery on my
Ford explorer) Starter was NG. I replaced it with a used $25.00 starter
that worked fine until last month. Same problem. Now the starter
rebuild shop can choose from the best of the 2 this winter.

By the way does anyone have any experience on rebuilt vs new TR
starters?????  Any recomendations for rebuild places near Boston
Ma.????

Joe Gautreau   70 TR6