Re: Smog Tests

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Smog Tests
From: Kirk Stanford <kirks@stanford.wanet.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 16:14:32 -0800 (PST)
>>So.... any suggestions on a) things I can do to improve this myself (I'll
>>gladly spend the $20 bucks for a retesting if I can avoid the $450) or b) a
>>duly authorized service location in the San francisco bay area would can
>>recognise a spitfire without reading the trunk.
>>
>>thanks,
>>Dave McAllister
>>'66 Spitfire

Dave,

  For my 70 Spit to pass I put new spark plugs on, new air filter, changed
the oil, took the carb. apart and cleaned it, then leaned the metering
needle all the way lean, retarded the timing till it barely ran, then
adjusted the idle.  The damn thing barely made it to the smog station.
After it passed I promptly drove home and readjusted the carb. and idle so
it ran like it used to.  You may get a one time waiver from the Smog Referee
but thats it after that.  Another suggestion is to go to a private garage
not a Smog Pros or something like that.

Good Luck,
Kirk Stanford
70 Spit MK III