Re: Electric "fool" pumps

To: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson), grayoak@holly.colostate.edu
Subject: Re: Electric "fool" pumps
From: lupienj@wal.hp.com (John Lupien)
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 95 11:36:52 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
> I used aluminium sheet to make deflector. Also, Noise from pum may
> be a bother as it was to me. Isolate by using rubber from pickup truck
> tie-down rubber expansion bushings. drill three holes. One on each end
> and in the middle depending on pump bracket. countersink pump mounting
> hardware into rubber and mount rubber to chasis or body. Pump hardware
> should not touch any part of chasis or body. You may not find the noise a
> bother, but I would rather hear the engine than the pump.
> Tony R.

Tony has a good point about vapor lock, the Facet won't make that
entirely a non-issue but it helps. I use a twin Facet and pressure
regulator setup for my rotary, and while I can tell you that the
engine sound is wonderful and I love to listen to it, I can also
tell a lot about what's going on from the sound of the fuel pumps.
The sound they make has a lot more high-end harmonics when they are
moving a lot of fuel, and I can compare what I'm hearing with what I
expect. I've found and fixed a couple of problems that way. Also,
when I don't hear them, I know why the engine stopped. The rubber
mounting will help with noise isolation.

--
---
John R. Lupien