Re: engine swapping

To: "'triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: engine swapping
From: Tom Gentry <TGENTR@wgc.woodward.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 95 14:21:00 PST
Encoding: 44 TEXT
>>For some reason many people outside the Triumph community as well as
>>a few inside think that the Triumph would be a better car with
>>a transplanted engine.

Some folks can't resist trying to make a good thing better.

>>I love the straight 6 push rod engine that came with the TR6.
>>Its a good engine.  It can be tuned to lots of power by upping
>>the compression its also well suited for a turbo and its a relatively
>>reliable motor.

It's really just a matter of degrees then, isn't it?  You think it's wrong
to swap the engine to achieve the goal of higher power, but OK to swap the
original cam, exhaust, intake, etc.  I'm sure we could find folks on this
list that appalled by that type of modification as well.  Are you aware for
instance, that the common way to raise compression on a TR-6 is to mill the
head?  That means that it can never be returned to original! (the crowd
gasps)

(putting on the triple layer nomex, now)
Listen folks, these are just cars.  No more, no less.  Most of our Triumphs
are not so valuable to collectors that there is a big monetary loss by
modifying them.  Personally, I get tired of the discussions of "what is the
original paint color for the rear crossmember on a Triumph 10".  My TR is
not the original color 'cause I didn't like the original color.  The engine,
suspension and brakes are modified 'cause I wanted it that way.  So, if it's
your car, do whatever makes you happy.  I'm sure a lot of people thought
that putting American V-8s in A.C. Aces or Sunbeam Alpines was sacrilege,
but I think you know the rest of that story.  If you have always yearned for
a blown 426 Hemi powered Herald, and think you have the resources to do it
safely  (safety being relative when discussing blown 426 hemis)... Go for
it.

"If you can lay two black marks from the exit of a turn, to the braking
point for the next turn...  then you have enough power"  Mark Donahue.

Tom Gentry
72 Triumph TR-6 OD (might get a V-8)
86 Dodge Shelby Charger Turbo (looking for a wrecked Spirit/Daytona RT)
88 Sterling 825SL (oh well...)
tgentr@wgc.woodward.com

"Life is too short to drive boring cars!"