Re: engine swapping

To: dehaasm@napc-1.navy.mil, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: engine swapping
From: TheHerrs@aol.com
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 1995 14:59:51 -0500
In a message dated 95-12-07 15:13:28 EST, dehaasm@napc-1.navy.mil writes:

>The other Triumph engine that has a bad reputation is the Stag engine.
>I rode in a Stag about a month ago and all I can say is that it pulls
>with lots of torque and sounds great.  From what I was told by
>a Triumph/Jag mechanic is that the Stag engine needs a lot more
>maintenance however its not as bad an engine as the general public
>perception leads one to think.

I can second that motion. I have both a Stag and a TR4A and am currently in
the process of restoring the TR4A to my specifications. This means similar to
the early TR4A factory race cars. My first temptation was to replace the
engine with a Rover V8 or even a Stag engine. But I came to my senses and
ordered the parts to build a TR4A motor with all the good parts (87mm, cam,
header, SU's etc...) The Stag is a great car and the engine does not need a
great deal of maintenance when compared to other British cars. The timing
chains must be replaced every 25000 to prevent the chains from stretching and
jumping a tooth on the cam gear. The engine requires regular anti-freeze
changes and backflushes every year. You must keep an eye on the coolant level
to prevent the pump from running dry and causing overheating. Other than
coolant and the timing chain problem, the engine is as reliable as any other
engine. Mine has served me well for the past 4 years and I love the sound of
the stainless steel dual exhaust.

Dave Herr
73 Stag, 65 TR4A