engine swapping

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: engine swapping
From: <Allan=W.=McClure%FACENG%UMASS@BANYAN.UMMED.EDU> (Allan W. McClure)
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 95 16:09:41 EST
Although I have mixed feelings about swapping a 6-cyl for an 8-cyl, I agree
with Tom Gentry in principle about certain modifications.  Triumphs are not
rare, nor highly collectible by any antique "standards" (with obvious
exceptions of course).  I just finished reading a book on investing in
antique and collectible cars and the only ones mentioned are the Packard
V-12's, Cadillac V-12's, Dusenbergs, Mercedes 500 and 540 K's, Bentleys,
Rolls-Royce's, Bugatti's, Lambourgini's, Ferrari's, and similar types.
Granted the book was written in '83, and times change, but Triumphs are worth
peanuts in comparison.  This is not a put-down for Triumphs at all, I love my
3A, and I couldn't afford those other types anyway, but it is good to keep
things in prespective.  For all those who love Concours restorations, I say
go for it.  And for those who want to tinker, go for it.  For me personally,
my 3A has an engine rebuilt to a 4's specs, has a 4's tranny, has a 4's
intake manifold, has stainless steel band clamps on all the hoses, has
aftermarket aircleaners, has an Interstate battery, and I've changed the
color scheme from red/black to white/red - why?  Because I like driving it
that way, it looks great, and I'm having fun, that's all!

Allan McClure
'60 TR3A TS75241L