Re: Tight Gearbox in TR6

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tight Gearbox in TR6
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egilk@oslonett.no>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 1995 10:52:20 +0100 (MET)
Tom Gentry (TGENTR@wgc.woodward.com) wrote:

: >in cold weather that the gear box feels like it is full of molassis.

: That's normal, to verying degrees, with any manual gearbox.  It's just the
: oil getting thick at cold temps.

I've almost forgot, but it used to be like that for me too.

Since I switched to synthetic GL4 spec gear oil many years ago, there is no
heavy feel whatsoever. I have a feeling that it is better for the gearbox
too. I use Mobil, BTW.

Other alternatives are engine oil (SAE 30 or something), or ATF.

: The straight 90 weight that the book recommends is unavailable in my area,
: so I use Castrol Hypoy, I think it's rated 80-100 or something like that.

But *DO* stay away from Hypoy oil (GL5 spec) if you have an overdrive box.
The OD clutch is not compatibile with the high-pressure additives in these
oils.

: "Life is too short to drive boring cars!"

Exactly.

Egil

--
Email: egilk@oslonett.no  Voice: +47 22523641/92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway