Spitfire steering column (mast) removal question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire steering column (mast) removal question
From: S1500@aol.com
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 1995 14:12:39 -0500
Wordly Scions,

Any tips on removing a steering mast from a Spitfire?  I am removing
the body tub from the '75 and can't get the &*$$@)* steering coupling
to come apart.  I've run into this problem before.  Seperation of the
flexible
coupling is not possible.  Access to the slotted bolts in almost nil due
to the suspension towers and engine.  I have removed the clamping bolts
that secure the steering shaft & the 'drive' to the steering box.  No amount
of beating, pulling & swearing will help extract either of the splined
shafts.
All of the hardware securing the steering mast inside the car has been
removed.

There must be an easier way.

Bob Sykes
75 (in bits) 78, 78 Spitfires