Re: Spitfire steering column (mast) removal question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire steering column (mast) removal question
From: mah16@cornell.edu (Marie A Harkins)
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 1995 22:06:38 -0500
>Wordly Scions,
>
>Any tips on removing a steering mast from a Spitfire?  I am removing
>the body tub from the '75 and can't get the &*$$@)* steering coupling
>to come apart.  I've run into this problem before.  Separation of the
>flexible
>coupling is not possible.  Access to the slotted bolts in almost nil due
>to the suspension towers and engine.  I have removed the clamping bolts
>that secure the steering shaft & the 'drive' to the steering box.  No amount
>of beating, pulling & swearing will help extract either of the splined
>shafts.
>All of the hardware securing the steering mast inside the car has been
>removed.
>
>There must be an easier way.
>
>Bob Sykes
>75 (in bits) 78, 78 Spitfires

I went through this on my '75 this past summer and it was a bit fussy.
First be sure and completely remove the bolt that clamps the coupling on
the splines. Next fit a suitably sized flat blade screwdriver into the
split in the coupling and twist it so as to expand the coupling about the
splines. Lastly, with your second and third hands and two more suitably
sized drivers, gently pry between the steering box and the end of the
coupling. It worked for me, a couple times (as I put it back together once
prematurely). Good luck, hope this helps,

Bill King   mah16@cornell.edu