Re: Spitfire steering column (mast) removal question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, S1500@aol.com
Subject: Re: Spitfire steering column (mast) removal question
From: pbw@chong.dseg.ti.com (Pat Willems (@chong))
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 95 07:29:11 CST
Bob Sykes wrote:
>Any tips on removing a steering mast from a Spitfire?  I am removing
>the body tub from the '75 and can't get the &*$$@)* steering coupling
>to come apart.

I just did this yesterday on my '72 (of course my engine is out so it
made it a little easier).  As others have pointed out, make sure the
clamp bolt is removed and pry open the clamp with a screwdriver.  Spray
the spline with favorite bolt loosener stuff.  I took a pair of vice
grips and clamped them on the steering shaft (in the engine
compartment).  I then took a hammer and beat on the side of the vice
grips along the axis of the shaft.  After much beating and a little
scarring of the shaft, the spline came out of the flexible coupling.
Don't do this if you want the shaft in pristine condition as the vice
grips will leave some scratches.

Good Luck,
Pat Willems