Re: Spitfire steering column (mast) removal question

To: S1500@aol.com
Subject: Re: Spitfire steering column (mast) removal question
From: Obadiah Fayth <fayth@lclark.edu>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 1995 19:42:21 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Sat, 16 Dec 1995 S1500@aol.com wrote:

> Any tips on removing a steering mast from a Spitfire?  I am removing
> the body tub from the '75 and can't get the &*$$@)* steering coupling
> to come apart.  I've run into this problem before.  Seperation of the
> flexible
> coupling is not possible.  Access to the slotted bolts in almost nil due
> to the suspension towers and engine.  I have removed the clamping bolts
snip,snip..
> There must be an easier way.
> Bob Sykes
> 75 (in bits) 78, 78 Spitfires

Obviously you will need to remove the engine. I believe the factory
manual calls for the
entire front of the car to be removed and a new front clip attached.
While they are at it they usually replace the muffler bearings and fuse
puller as well, since these are easily accessible with the front of the
car removed. Entirely toungue in cheek of course;)