TR6 Clutch Problem

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Clutch Problem
From: jgreenb1@ix.netcom.com (Jerry Greenberg )
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 1995 19:13:20 -0800
I havebeen experiencing severe clutch problems at times with my 1976
TR6.  Mainly in hot weather, and sometimes in cool and cold weather, it
is very difficult and sometimes impossible to engage first gear from a
stop when the engine temperature is above "normal".  I sometimes have
trouble engaging second gear but not nearly as much difficulty as
first.

If and when I finally do get into first gear, it is as if the clutch is
engaged, in other words, if I am in first gear and let off the brake,
the car will move forward.

I wrapped the hydraulic pipe with Thermotech wrap thinking that engine
heat was causing the hydraulic fluid to become too hot and losing
viscosity but the problem continues.  One suggestion was to re-route
the hydraulic pipe to the clutch slave cylinder but I have not done
this yet.  Besides, the flexible pipe will still have to be near the
engine when it gets to the slave cylinder.

I also have tried several different brands of clutches to no avail.