Re: TR6 Clutch Problem

To: jgreenb1@ix.netcom.com (Jerry Greenberg )
Subject: Re: TR6 Clutch Problem
From: kralmv@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu (Milo V. Kral)
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 1995 08:12:08 -0600 (CST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Date-warning: Date header was inserted by ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu
>I wrapped the hydraulic pipe with Thermotech wrap thinking that engine
>heat was causing the hydraulic fluid to become too hot and losing
>viscosity but the problem continues.  One suggestion was to re-route
>the hydraulic pipe to the clutch slave cylinder but I have not done
>this yet.  Besides, the flexible pipe will still have to be near the
>engine when it gets to the slave cylinder.
>
>I also have tried several different brands of clutches to no avail.

   I read some of the responses,  and of all of them I tend to agree with the
idea that the master cylinder being bad.  I definitely disagree with the idea
of fluid viscosity.
   It is also possible that the mechanical part of the linkage has wirn out,
like on my '71 TR6.  See how much play there is in the pedal before you feel
resistance - there shouldn't be more than 1/2 - 1" (the less the better).  This
can be remedied by bushings in the bell housing,  new slave pushrod,  new
master pushrod,  re-bushed pedal,  new linkage pins.
   If none of this stuff works,  go to a 0/75" bore (early) master cylinder.

   In the mean-time have you tried moving the slave pin/rod up to the top hole
on the bellhousing lever? This isn't recommended,  but it should work as a
temporary fix until you have found the cause of the problem.

I've definitely been there,

Milo Kral
Milo Kral
Applied and Engineering Sciences