Re: Rocker Oil Feed line

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rocker Oil Feed line
From: rgb@exact.com
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 08:39:27 1996
>If all this extra oil is being pumped up to the rockers, does this mean
>there is less oil getting to the crank? Just a dumb question.

Just so we don't re-invent the wheel, while the oil feed kit can fix
a few odd problems, the engines ran fine when new, i.e. plenty of
rocker oil...

When they age, the idle oil pressure drops, i.e. less than 20 psi
at 1,000 rpm after a hot run.  What you see is excessive rocker arm wear
from lack of oil getting up there.  The oil kit fixes the symptom...

Pulling the oil pan and replacing the bearings on the rods and crank is
a 4 hour job.  This restores the oil pressure and you'll see plenty of
oil back up to the rockers.  This fixes the problem...

My oil consumption fell by 50% with the new bearings, I suspect oil
was blasting all over the lower cylinder walls from the excessive
bearing gap, not to mention any of it getting up to the rockers.

The philips screw holding the rocker shaft positions the entry hole
to the oil feed from the head, this shaft is hollow and can also
fill up with gunk...  so there are more reasons, the bearing replacement
won't fix all of them, but 9 out of 10 is my guess...

--
Roger G. Bolick, rgb@exact.com, (512) 794-9567, FAX 345-2879