Re: exhaust/carbs

To: Ed Burger <eburger@sagelink.com>
Subject: Re: exhaust/carbs
From: jstovall@earthlink.net (J. Stovall)
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 11:00:19 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>I just got done doing a very close inspection of my Spit.  There are some
>major problems though.  The biggest one was that there is no exhaust
>system on my spit!  There are pieces of it in the trunk ;)  Anyway, I was
>wondering what the wonderfull world of aftermarket parts has for the '65
>Spitfire's exhaust.
>
>Second thing, the carbs are disgusting looking.  I want to clean them up
>(I don't have the money to replace them).  I plan to send away for  pair
>of carb rebuild kits, but what else can I do to get it back into good
>shape?  My father suggested soaking them in gas.  Any suggestions?
>
>Ed
>'65 Spitfire4

Ed,
        I guess gas would clean them up, but I just got done rebuilding my
ZS carbs and I bought a gallon of carb cleaner from teh local AutoZone,
took 'em apart, and dumped them in there for an hour or so. Took them out,
scrubbed with a toothbrush, hosed 'em down, let 'em dry and they looked
almost as good as new (that's not saying they worked how they looked-but
that's another story).
        Also, after they had dried and were still apart, I took some super
fine (not the _super_ fine) steel wool and polished the parts. That worked
out real well, they looked real nice and shiny ;-).
        You'll go through a lot of fluid, probably. I'm talking cleaner,
gas, water, and some other I can't think if right now. I had one of those
table where teh wood liked to flake off, and I knew I couldn't rebuild my
carbs on that. So, I just put a big piece of masonite over, and it worked
wonders. THe masontie will soak up any and all fluid quickly, and the board
hasn't disentergrated at all yet. I plan to build another table soon, using
masonite on the top.
        These are just a couple tips that I thought of off the bat, I hope
they help.

Jeff Stovall
jstovall@earthlink.net
"I'm God's gift to humility."