Re: '65 Triumph Spitfire4 - Lots of Q's

To: Ed Burger <eburger@sagelink.com>
Subject: Re: '65 Triumph Spitfire4 - Lots of Q's
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 13:58:45 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Sun, 3 Nov 1996, Ed Burger wrote:

> Hello all!  I just bought a 1965 Triumph Spitfire4 (Whats the 4 for?
> The cylinders?)

Exactly.

> The body panel under the trunk is smashed in.  So bad the trunk wont close.
> Could I just hammer this out or
> do I need to invest in a new body panel?

All depends on how badly smashed. New panels are available, though.

> The engine doesn't run.  Right now, it has no battery, but when it did the
> engine would turn but never start.
> Its been sitting for 10+ years, so that could explain something.
> How would you guys begin to attack this?

Lots of "clean up and replace"; that is, clean up the ignition system and
make sure it's set properly (static timing for now, of course). Drain
whatever comes out of the sump and go with fresh oil and filter. Plan to
do this again very soon, like not long after it starts. Clean out fuel
system if necessary (probably is), clean up carburetor dashpots, etc.,
and reassemble. If it's all fairly free, don't go mucking with carb
settings yet. And pull the valve cover and check the valve clearances,
resetting to .010" as needed.

Once you're sure you're getting both decent fuel and spark, spin the
engine with the starter (ignition disabled) to build up some oil
pressure. Then reconnect ignition and try starting it. If there's any
hope at all for the engine, it probably will start even if timing and
carbs are a bit off.

When/if it starts (oh, yeah, don't forget about the cooling system as
well), let it warm up and see where you stand with settings. Then
consider changing the oil and filter again once you're thoroughly warmed up.

> The paint on it is a cheesy blue color.  And to make it worse, a
> homedone spraypaint job.  What were the
> origional colors so I can change this?

Most likely Signal Red, Royal Blue, Triumph (?) Green, Sebring White,
Black, maybe Powder or Wedgewood Blue. The commission number plate will
give you a number code that will tell the original paint color (which
you'd probably also find under the dash, inside the doors, etc.).

> Where can I get cheap parts?

What's cheap? The Roadster Factory is very good, and not all that far
from you. Try your local NAPA dealer; you might get lucky on some items.
IMHO, cheap is not necessarily THE way to go, regardless of what you
believe the value of the car to be now or in the near future. If you're
driving it and, therefore trusting your life to it, cheap isn't always
the best way to go. If you want to save money on it, buy carpet remnants
instead of a deluxe carpet set. Throw seatcovers or towels over the
upholstery. Grab some more spray cans and do another cheezy paint job.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but don't skimp on the quality of the
mechanical parts.

BTW, regarding your other post on how the body is put together? It's
mostly spot-welded panels.

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *