Re: Brake Master Cylinder Rebuild

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brake Master Cylinder Rebuild
From: tonyr@dzn.com
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 1996 01:26:00 -0600
ST>Can't wait to hear how it goes. I just split the primary piston seal
ST>for my TR6. The new one should arrive by next tues. I thought that
ST>it was just me - not having the "touch".

ST>I am wondering if warming up the seal in hot water would help -
ST>or hurt?

ST>-Steve
ST>'74 TR6

ST>Bill Munts wrote:
ST>>
ST>> Hi Folks,
ST>>
ST>> I need some wisdom from the early Spitfire guys with cars with tandem mast
ST>> cylinders.  I'm having problems with the primary piston seal.  I purchased
ST>> rebuild kit from Vicky Brit (TRF was out of stock).  The first attempt res
ST>> in the primary seal showing a split after I rebuilt the MC and attempted t
ST>> it.  I called Vicky Brit and they replaced the seal.  The second time arou
ST>> the seal split while putting it on.  I'm pretty sure I'm installing it
ST>> correctly, I'm using brake fluid to oil it up and taking my time with it.
ST>> can only see one way on with this thing.
ST>>
ST>> I began to examine the seals (original vs replacement) after I regained my
ST>> composure last night.  The seals are both made in Australia but are marked
ST>> somewhat differently and have different physical dimensions as follows.
ST>>
ST>> Original =      Marked as 25 P4640
ST>>                 I.D. = .3275"
ST>>                 O.D. = .7450"
ST>>                 Thickness = .2500"
ST>>
ST>> Replacement =   Marked as 24 P4640
ST>>                 I.D. = .2875"
ST>>                 O.D. = .7400"
ST>>                 Thickness = .2400"
ST>>
ST>> I can put the original seal on without too much trouble, but the replaceme
ST>> simply will not go.  I don't think prolonged exposure to brake fluid would
ST>> account for the original seal having consistently larger dimensions.  My
ST>> experience (professional) with seals in fluid handling show that seals ten
ST>> grow in one dimension and not equally.  Has anyone else had this same prob
ST>> Is it likely that VB has the wrong seal in the kit?
ST>>
ST>> Thanks for your help.
ST>>
ST>> Bill M.
ST>> '70 Spitfire Mk3

Steve and Bill,
 Don't mean to butt in here, but I have found that you can go to most
NAPA or similiar stores or even Industrial Automotive shops and get
these seals right off the shelf for about 90 cents.
 Most seals used in lbc s arestandardsizes, ie: 9/16, 5/8 and 7/8 inch
diameter. Some, like the TR6, I think are 70 mm but they are also
available at some larger parts stores.
 I can't remeber the last time I had to order a kit for a clutch of
brake master or slave cylinder.
 It might be worth a try to sit down with a phone book and call a few
places in your area.
 Just my 90 cents worth.
Regards,
Tony R
--
The Digital Zone  (915) 751-0131 voice (915) 759-8100 data
http://www.dzn.com