Re: That pesky temperature gauge

To: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV
Subject: Re: That pesky temperature gauge
From: Lenny Seidman <lseidman@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 15:49:02 +0000
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV wrote:

> Though the temperature gauge on my 1974 Spitfire is operational, it seems to
>be off calibration.  When warm, the gauge never rises much above a point about
>1/4
>
> Incidentally, while my car usually runs at an even temperature, idling on a
>hot day does get that gauge heading up the scale rather quickly.  Makes me
>think I
>
> Incidentally, my temperature sending unit IS new, leading me not to think of
>it as a problem in this instance.
>
> Martin Secrest
> 1974 Spitfire
>
> ™As a general rule, the most successful man in life is the man who has the
>best information.™  -- Benjamin Disraeli

I had the same problem with my TR3B. I though it always ran hot or was
getting ready to overheating. Not the case. The car after warming up
would always read at 3/4's on the guage not at 1/2 or normal temp.(I'm
not sure what the guage says)After checking the thermostat and
radiator cap I got a "candymakers" thermometer from the local hardware
store (they are getting harder to find all the time!) and let the car
warm up. I let it cool down enoough so that i could take the radiator
cap off and making sure there was a filled radiator put the
thermometer in the radiator and let the car run at idle while checking
the thermometer. Sure enough the thermometer read about 15-20 lower
than the guage and the car never has overheated even in the worst heat
of the summer.
--
Lenny Seidman
Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, USA