That pesky temperature gauge

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: That pesky temperature gauge
From: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV
Date: 12 Nov 96 14:31:26
Though the temperature gauge on my 1974 Spitfire is operational, it seems to be
off calibration.  When warm, the gauge never rises much above a point about
1/4th of the way along its full scale.  Seems to me that a ªnormalª indication
would be at or slightly below the halfway point.  Is this true?  And does
anyone know if there is an easy way to check or  ªzero setª the temperature
gauge indicator?

Incidentally, while my car usually runs at an even temperature, idling on a hot
day does get that gauge heading up the scale rather quickly.  Makes me think I
should find a way to replace the long-since-gone air deflection panels between
the radiator and grill.

Incidentally, my temperature sending unit IS new, leading me not to think of it
as a problem in this instance.

Martin Secrest
1974 Spitfire

ªAs a general rule, the most successful man in life is the man who has the best
information.ª  -- Benjamin Disraeli